The original offices of the Riverside County Record newspaper where located in an old motel that had been rented out for office space at 3853 Riverview Drive (torn down in the 1990s). The Record offices initially comprised three of the five motel rooms and later expanded into a fourth room which was used for distribution when my dad bought two mail trucks and hired Jim Traught to handle the delivery of all 20,000 copies.

When you walked in the front door of the offices the first thing visitors would see was a partition on which displayed numerous trophies and awards that my father and the newspaper had earned over the years (not shown). To the left there was a reception desk which I never saw used and it always had a bunch of junk stacked on it (not shown). To the right was the layout room.

Behind the partition was the editorial office which consisted of a desk used by my mom, a desk in front of the back window used by my father, two Justiwriter typewriters where the typesetters (my mom and Janet Namagucci) would enter the editorial copy to generate the punched tape that was used to feed the Singer Justotext 70 which would output type onto photosensitive paper that would then be trimmed, waxed on the back and placed onto a layout page with various headlines and black boxes where the photos would be inserted during the negative stage.

The layout room consisted of a 10 foot long slant board against the easterly wall and there were two art tables placed head to head against the westerly wall. It was in the layout room that most of the editorial pages were built. In the third room is were most of the advertising layouts were built; ergo all the previously used product names and prices pasted to the wall for quick use if needed.

The Riverview Building

Riverview editorial office.
Dad working at his desk in the Riverview offices. He always had a cigarette hanging out of his mouth.
In this photo you are looking from the editorial room into the main layout room where most of the editorial copy was pasted-up into pages.
My dad marking up some advertising copy in the layout room.
Dad always had a cigarette in his mouth.
That's me sitting against the wall in the advertising layout room. All those items stuck to the wall were used over and over in the creation of various advertisements.
In this photo I am on the phone with a client using the multi-line phone that was located in the advertising past-up room.

The Tilton Building

The foundation for the new record building on Tilton Ave. just after being poured.
The new record building on Tilton Ave. just after being plastered.
A shot from the other side of the front just after being plastered.
Pouring the sidewalk that ran along the front of the building and from the parking lot to the entrance.
My dad loved the early-American style of architecture especially the used-brick and the pillars.
Having an American eagle on the front of the building was important for my dad as well.
The completed Record/News building before the apartments were built in the lot in front. Viewed from the side as you come up Tilton from the south.
The completed Record/News building from the side.
The completed Record/News building from the front.
The completed Record/News building from the front.
The building on Tilton was built in 1974 but, for some reason, there was not any signage on the building indicating that it was home to the Record newspaper. Rectifying that situation was one of the first things I did when I returned to the Record during the summer of 1981.
The reception area of the Tilton building. A seat occupied by my mom Mondays, Tuesdays, and Fridays.
One of several rotary dial phones spread throughout the building. You wore many hats when you worked at the Record, answering the phones was everyone's job.
The Record's Editor beginning in 1971 was Dave Barnes who later purchased the paper from Al McCoombs of the Chino Champion who had purchased the paper from my father in 1985.
A picture of Dave's desk on a typical day. Notice the Galleano wine bottle; Dave and Don Galleano were good friends most of the time.
Record Editor Dave Barnes working at one of the Compugraphic typesetting terminals. These terminal saved everything onto 5 1/4" floppy disks which would then be put into the Compugraphic photo-typesetting machine which imprinted the text onto light-sensitive photo-typesetting paper which would be developed in the darkroom, dried, trimmed, and then waxed for placement on to one of that current edition's layout pages.
Vince Nuskin was a long time employee at the Record doing advertising layouts and client buy-offs. He started out of high school and then left to work for the phone company in 1975.
Another picture of Vince Nuskin with my dad seated at the layout table in the background.
This is a long shot of the layout room. The slant boards along the front wall is where most of the pages for the weekly edition were made up. The big layout table to the front of the photo is where the full page and double truck grocery ads were made up. Each advertiser's ad copy was stored on the shelves you see under the slant boards and underneath the flat layout table. There were also lots of Metro books, which were quarter inch thick books of 17" x 22" in. pages consisting of advertising art organized by topic and season. You could search for the items in a master book which was a three-ring binder that would list page numbers for all the clip art.
This is taken from the back wall of the layout room. That's my dad sitting at the layout table. You can see the drying rack behind him on the left. If you look towards the front left you can see two of the Compugraphic typesetting terminals. Behind his head is the Compugraphic photo typesetting machine which would "print," at high speeds, all the text contained in a file on a diskette formatted in the specified font, size, spacing, etc. attributes coded into the file using supershift delimiters.
This is roughly the same angle as the last photo, however you see brother Tom working on an ad layout. My mom is also pictured in the background. Most likely she is waiting for the Compugraphic photo typesetter to finish running a job. Once completed, my mom would take a canister from the photo typesetter containing the light-sensitive photo typesetting paper into the darkroom and develop it. Then she would bring it out of the darkroom and hang the developed paper strip in the drying cabinet. These paper strips were usually anywhere from a foot to as much as 10 to 12 feet.
A low-angle shot of the layout table. The tape dispenser you see contained 3/8" wide clear tape and 1/4" wide red cellophane tape used when string negatives to their orange masks. The final step before burning an aluminum plate which would be used on the web offset printing press that would print each week's edition. The Riverside County Publishing Company (RCPC) was contracted to provide the plate burning, printing, folder and delivery back to the Record offices around 6 a.m. every Tuesday morning.
This is the back wall of the Tilton offices where the light table, used for striping and opaquing negs, was located. It's under that stack of papers you see.
We did have our own print shop, but our little press could only handle up to 8 1/2" x 14" paper. It was used mainly for printing flyers, menus, business cards, etc. The whole operation was squoze-in between the heater cabinet and the back door and the back wall behind it is the back of the camera room containing the Kenro Nuarc vertical camera used for creating negatives from the layouts we created. The negs were then stripped into orange masks and used to burn plates for the printing presses.
The front entrance into the Tilton offices from the viewpoint of the telephone cabinet located in the reception area. Video Place was located on the left and the Record office were on the right.
This angle shows the reception area to the left with its lacquered pillars, the hallway leading to the bathroom, and the door which opened to Video Place.
From the reception area looking towards the door leading to the Record offices.
Looking from the bathroom hallway into the reception area and the entrance to the building.
The communications closet in the reception area.
This picture shows Record office area from the location where Dave Barne's desk was located. My dad's office was on the left, the rest of the area was filled with typesetting equipment, slantboard layout tables on the left wall, and a flat layout table in the middle towards the back. The Darkroom was located in the middle back-half of the building.
Another view of the entrance to my dad's office.
This is the view of y dad's office as you walked in the door.
This is a view of my dad's office looking from the back corner towards the door.
One of two cabinets hand-crafted by my dad. He was quite proud of his cabinet and their lacquered tops.
Same cabinet from a different angle.
Looking from the back wall of my dad's office out through the door with his other custom cabinet on the left.
This is the back wall and closet area which was located behind Dave Barne's desk area.
This is a wider shot of Barne's desk area.
Another view of the bulk of the office space that was used to publish the Record newspaper.
This view is from the south wall of the building looking back towards the reception area. The two Compugraphic terminals used to sit on a large desk that sat in front of that horizontal window. My dad put the window there so that you could see customers coming in the building while you were working on one of the terminals.
The FAU was located behind the accordion doors and the front entrance to the dark room is to the near left (where you see the paneling). The back entrance to the darkroom is on the far left (where you see the green wall.
Access to the FAU using the accordion doors on the right. Access to the darkroom by making two sharp left turns and one sharp right one using the light trap.
The area in front of the partition was used for the offset printing press used to print flyers, envelopes, forms, etc. The area behind the partition housed the Kenro Nuarc vertical camera used to make negatives from the pasted-up page layouts. A black curtain used to hang in the open area on the left to keep light out of the camera room when the camera was being used.
The Fan/heater switch used to control the heater and the fan in the heating cabinet where the film negatives were hung to dry.
Looking from the back of the Record offices towards the front.
The trusty clock that hung on the front wall of the offices of the Record from the first day of operation in the Tilton building until the last.
The darkroom had the Kodak Ektmatic processor for developing the typesetting paper and veloxes. A vacuum frame with a light above it for making veloxes and film dupes. An enlarger that would handle up to 4" x 5" film and two sinks used for developing, fixing, and washing negs.
A closer picture of the main developing sync which was made of fiberglass. You can see the shelf above the sink which would hold the chemicals to make the "soup" for developing as wells as the "fix" used to stop the developing process.
In this picture we're looking from the back of the darkroom towards the front.
Another view of the developing sink.
Instructions taped to the wall of the darkroom for developing different types of films and conditions.
Looking towards the front wall of the camera room with the entrance to the dark room on the left.
A picture of the area where the Kenro Nuarc vertical camera used to sit. The camera's lights were known to blow a fuse or two in the old offices so the fuse panel was strategically located in the camera room in the new building.
Instructions taped to the camera room wall used for setting the camera's exposure time and f-stop depending on the film and conditions.
The Record/News building up for sale in 2003.
The Record/News building up for sale in 2003. Tom crossing the street to the post office. This wide shot shows the apartments that were built to the left of the building, the Taylor insurnce building on the right, and the houses that were built behind the alley in the back.